Who We Are
At VCBC we are committed to providing a warm and open environment where you can explore your relationship to God and experience God’s unconditional love lived out among a people who are “on the way.” We haven’t arrived yet, but know that God is calling us to be like Christ and experience the fullness of life and love that is found in him. We are passionate about forming genuine followers of Jesus Christ who seek to live out God’s will in all areas of life.
5 Core Values
(a Kingdom-focused church)
"He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ—with all boldness and without hindrance!" – Acts 28:31
We envision a community of faith actively engaged with God in His ongoing mission to redeem and reconcile the world back to Himself.
We value mission as the expression of the heart of God to extend the Good News across barriers and call all persons to fullness of life. in Christ.
(Matthew 28:18-20; John 20:21; John 10:10; 1 Timothy 2:3; Revelation 5:9-10)
(a a Spirit-led church)
"So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh." – Galatians 5:16
Intimacy with God
We envision a community of faith passionately pursuing intimacy with God that renews, transforms and empowers the believer for life, in the kingdom of God and in the world.
We value intimacy with God that is nourished in prayer, worship, and attention to the spiritual life.
(Hebrews 13:15; 1 Peter 2:5; Matthew 6:9-12; Ephesians 3:14-20; 1 Corinthians 9:24-27; Colossians 2:6-7; John 15:1-17)
(a Unified church)
"Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." – Ephesians 4:3
Community in Christ
We envision a community of faith where all members are brought into connection with God and one another in a way that reflects the presence and power of the Kingdom of God.
We value community in Christ as the expression of God’s reconciling work in Christ and His desire to connect all men and women to Himself and one another in Christ.
(John 13:34-35; 1 John 1:1-4; Hebrews 10:19-25; Galatians 6:1-10)
4 (a Disciple-making church)
(a a Spirit-led church)
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." – Matthew 28:19
We envision a community of faith that seeks to faithfully, creatively and relevantly relate the Gospel to all of life.
We value a wholistic gospel, that is, the application of Gospel truth to all areas of life. in a way that shows God’s comprehensive care for His creation.
(Psalm 24:1; Isaiah 1:13-17; Matthew 5:45; 25:31-46; Luke 4:18 – 19; Romans 8:18-25; 2 Corinthians 8:1-15; James 1:27)
We envision a community of faith that is dedicated to relevant, biblically, faithful, and life. transforming preaching and teaching.
We value preaching and teaching that is faithful to God’s revealed truth and delivered in ways that are relevant and life transforming.
(1 Corinthians 1:17-29; 1 Corinthians 2:18, 12-13; Colossians 1:23-29; 1 Thessalonians 2:3-12; 2 Timothy 2:15-16; Hebrews 4:12)
5 Empowering Future Generations
(a Long-sustaining church)
"And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others." – 2 Timothy 2:2
We envision a community of faith where the pastoral and lay leadership have a clear vision of God’s intention and plan for the church and its ministry in the world.
We value visionary leadership that seeks to discern, understand, communicate and implement God’s will and way so that the church can fulfill its role in God’s eternal plan.
(2 Samuel 5:1-10; 2 Kings 6:17; Hebrews 13:7,17; Proverbs 29:18; Acts 2:14-17; Acts 26:19; Joel 2:28; Revelation 1:9-11; Exodus 3:10; Acts 16:9; Numbers 13:5; Ezekiel 37:1; Matthew 6:33)
We envision a community of faith actively seeking to equip every member for ministry in and through the church through the stewardship of gifts, finances, and leadership development.
We value stewardship as an expression of our gratitude to God for His gifts of life, and our partnering with God in the extension and strengthening of his Kingdom.
(Psalm 24:1; Genesis 1:26-31; Colossians 1:19-20; Philippians 2:2-3; Acts 2:42-47; 4:32-36; 11:27-30; Matthew 6:19-21,24, 34; 1 Corinthians 12:1-11; 14:12; Ephesians 4:7-16; 1 Corinthians 4:2)
To follow and witness Christ in all areas of life.
To raise up generations of Christ followers and disciple makers.
VCBC is committed to the following statement of faith:
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, became man, without ceasing to be God, having been conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary, in order that He might reveal God and redeem sinful men.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ accomplished our redemption through His death on the cross as a representative, vicarious, substitutionary sacrifice and that our justification is made sure by His literal physical resurrection from the dead.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ ascended to heaven and is now exalted at the right hand of God, where, as our High Priest, He fulfills the ministry of Representative, Intercessor and Advocate.
- We believe in one Triune God, eternally existing in three
persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – co-eternal in
being, co-identical in nature, co-equal in power and glory
and having the same attributes and perfections.
- We believe that He is the Divine Teacher who guides believers into all truth and that it is the privilege and duty of all the saved to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that salvation is the gift of God brought to man by grace and received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, whose precious blood was shed on Calvary for the forgiveness of our sins.
- We believe that all the redeemed, once saved, are kept by God’s power and are thus secure in Christ forever.
- We believe that the church is a spiritual organism made up of all born-again persons.
- We believe that the local church is an autonomous body of baptized believers voluntarily banded together for worship and service of God, recognizing the need for mutual counsel and co-operation with other bodies of like faith.
- All Scripture (the Holy Bible) is inspired by God.
- There is one God, consisting of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. He is known as the Triune God.
- Jesus Christ is the only Son of God. He died on the cross and rose again to redeem humankind from their sins.
- The Holy Spirit is our teacher and guide.
- Man was created in the image of God.
- Salvation is the gift of God and cannot be purchased or earned.
- Satan is the author of sin and the declared enemy of God.
- There will be a bodily Resurrection of the dead and judgment of all humankind.
- The Return of Jesus Christ will be personal and imminent.
- Baptism is the immersion of the believer in water in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We observe the Lord’s Supper to commemorate the death of Jesus Christ.
- The Church is a spiritual organism made up of all believers.
The Meaning of Our Logo
The logo can be seen on the header of this site. It seems simple at first glance, but it also has some deeper meanings.
- The first design element. There are two people—a larger figure formed by the two rectangles on the left and a slightly smaller figure formed by the two on the right. Together, they convey the idea of community that, as Christians, we are not alone in our journey of faith, but that we are together as God’s family. It also shows the dynamic of Christian mentorship and helping each other to grow as they walk side by side.
- The second design element. The four rectangles form a cross in the centre, meaning that Christ is at the centre of everything we are and do. Our community and our teaching are centred on Christ and being Christ-like disciples.
- The last design element. The four rectangles represent the four emphases in the VCBC mission statement: 1) Character formation, 2) Worldview, 3) Accountability and Growth in Spiritual Life, and 4) Mission and Service. These emphases make up the discipleship emphasis to which we are committed at VCBC.