Oct 4 to Dec 13
Fall Module (Sundays @ 11:15am, from Oct 4 to Dec 13)
Instructor: Rev. Paul Chan
“In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.” Whether Ben Franklin or Mark Twain was the original author of this quote, he
should have added “suffering” to the list.
- Suffering has driven many to atheism “There cannot be a God!”
- Suffering has driven many simply to turn away from God: “He does not care!”
- Suffering has drawn many closer to God: “Lord, I cannot go through it alone.”
- Suffering has also become a favourite subject of philosophers and theologians who have filled the world’s libraries with their volumes.
- Suffering has also become a basis on which for some to pass judgement on the innocence or guilt of the sufferers.
As Christians, we also struggle with this inevitable in life, wondering:
- Is it the work of Satan?
- Is it a direct result of our sins?
- Is it an indirect result of the sins of the world?
- Why do good people suffer?
Join us as we wrestle with these age-old questions together with Job and his three friends in the Book of Job. You may be surprised to find out that the ultimate teaching of this book has less to do with suffering, but more to do with a far more important truth that is central to the faith in Yahweh!
Schedule & Materials for This Term
|1 – OCT 4||Introduction & Prologue (I)||Ch. 1||Central Theme of Job:|
Q. No one fears God for nothing? (1:9)
|Session 1 Handouts|
|2 – OCT 11||Prologue (II)||Chs. 2-3||Integrity of Job|
Q. Why has Job changed? Or has he?
|Session 2 Handouts|
|3 – OCT 18||1st Cycle of Debate with 3 Friends||Chs. 4-5; 8-11||Friends’ defense of God’s action?|
Q. Does God need our defense?
|Session 3 Handouts|
|4 – OCT 25||1st Cycle of Debate: Job’s Response||Chs. 6-7, 9-10, 12-14||You don’t understaand!|
“Have you walked in my moccasins?’
|5 – NOV 1||1st Cycle of Debate: 3 Friends & Job||Chs. 15-21||Implicating Job has sinned.|
Q. Conventional or biblical wisdom?
|6 – NOV 8||1st Cycle of Debate with 3 Friends||Chs. 22-25||From implication to frabrication|
Q. What has happened?
|7 – NOV 15||Job’s Summary Defense (I)||Chs. 26-28||Job’s answer: I know as much as you do!|
The struggle: Right knowledge, so what?
|8 – NOV 22||Job’s Summary Defense (II)||Chs. 29-31||Lamentation|
|9 – NOV 29||Elihu||Chs. 32-37||Empty Words of Wisdom!|
Q. Was his argument not the same as 3 friends?
|10 – DEC 6||God Broke Silence!||Chs 38-41||His majesty & sovereignty: Q.1 Where are you?|
Q.2 Not everything has to make sense!
|11 – DEC 13||Epilogue||Ch. 42||Seeing God & “Doubled reward”, really?|
Q. Did Job answer Satan’s challenge in 1:9?