The VCBC Search Committee is currently seeking applicants to fill the position of Next Gen Ministry Pastor (Young Adults) for our church. All interested applicants are encouraged to submit their inquiries and applications to email@example.com on or before October 31, 2023. A pdf printer-friendly version of the posting is available here.
The information for the job posting is available below:
JOB DESCRIPTION: Next Generation Ministry Pastor (Young Adults) of VCBC
The VCBC Next Generation (Next Gen) Ministry serves 0-25 age demographic across English, Cantonese, and Mandarin backgrounds. The Next Generation Ministry Pastor (Young Adults) is primarily responsible for providing ministerial care and leadership to the young adult demographic (ages 18-25) in VCBC. He/she will collaborate closely with the Next Generation Ministry Pastor(s) (Children & Youth, respectively) to develop and support a comprehensive Next Generation Ministry that is consistent with the mission of the church.
The successful candidate should have experience ministering to young adults straddled across the Canadian and Chinese culture, and is familiar with the current challenge in many Asian churches where there is an exodus of the 2nd generation. We are looking for someone who can work in this context, collaborating with the Next Gen Ministry to support young adults who are 2nd gen as well as recent immigrants.
This Pastor reports to the English Congregation Lead Pastor (or designated Associate Pastor) who will supervise, evaluate and provide a report of evaluation to the Personnel Committee.
Next Gen Ministry Purpose
Foster a collaborative and mature faith community within VCBC that nurtures our next generation to become healthy and thriving disciplemakers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
To equip and assist the church in shepherding, leading, equipping, and collaborating the young adult ministries, this position’s duties include:
- Develop and facilitate a young adult ministry vision through prayerful consideration of the biblical teachings of the church’s responsibility to young adults.
- Cultivate a Christ-like servanthood culture to empower young adult participation and service within the church community.
- Build a healthy culture of discipleship in the young adult ministry through areas of worship, community, theology, and mission.
- Provide pastoral care and support to young adults and young adult ministry volunteers in their walks of faith.
- Connect, follow up, and liaison with young adult visitors.
- Exercise care through personal outreach, home and hospital visitations.
Lead & Equip
- Provide spiritual and administrative guidance to the Young Adult Ministry Team.
- Evaluate and direct resources to fulfill the discipleship and mentorship needs of young adults, young adult ministry volunteers, and those interested in serving in young adult ministry.
- Lead the Young Adult Ministry Team in preparing an annual budget that is reflective of the goals and objectives of the ministry.
- Supervise and oversee ministry related activities (fellowship, Sunday school, retreats, mission projects and trips, etc.) that serve young adults at various levels of spiritual maturity, within the goals and objectives of evangelism, outreach, worship, fellowship, and discipleship.
- Keep abreast of young adult trends and resources needed in order to serve as an advisor to the church on ministering to young adults.
- Partner with the English Congregational Leadership Team (ECLT) in fulfilling its vision and mission as in line with the church.
- Collaborate with the Next Gen Ministry Team to develop a Next Gen Ministry with a coherent and unified vision to serve members ages 0-25.
- Attend regular staff and leadership meetings to liaison for the young adult ministry.
- Report and relay the activities, achievements and needs of the young adult ministry to the ECLT and the pastoral team.
- Participate in planning and conducting worship services, preaching, Sunday School, and Congregational Life events.
- Assist with other temporary duties as assigned by the EC Lead Pastor (or designated Associate Pastor) on an as-needed basis.
- Be a committed follower of Christ who has undergone the rites of baptism by immersion.
- Is passionate about helping other followers of Christ, particularly young adults, to connect with one another and grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Commit to VCBC’s ministry philosophy and programs.
- Subscribe to and agree with the VCBC’s Statement of Faith.
- Shall have at least two years working with young adults in lay or ministerial role. (Previous experience in a multiple staff setting preferred)
- Have graduated from an accredited Bible College or Seminary (M. Div. preferred).
- Be a leader of leaders; an excellent communicator in one-on-one, small and large group settings and be a team player.
- Have gifts and competencies to effectively carry out this ministry position.
- Having cross-cultural experience in a North American setting will be a strong asset.
- Being able to speak Cantonese and/or Mandarin fluently along with English will be a strong asset.